Chicken Croquette Recipe is a fried creamy meat roll that is made from chicken, milk, onion, butter, and other herbs. This recipe is one of my favorite chicken appetizers since it is delicious and easy to make. Furthermore, this is a perfect appetizer for both Kids and Adults.
Chicken Croquette is originally from France, however, some countries have their version of croquettes dishes which fascinated me. For example, in the Middle East, they serve a Lebanese lamb croquette called Kibbeh. While in India, there is a potato croquette I once tried called Aloo Tikki.
In the Philippines, I tried a very delicious chicken croquette in a European fine dining restaurant located in Cebu City called the suite room. When I checked that dish in the food menu, I was curious because we don’t know what it taste like. Eventually, we decided to order this appetizer, and we did not regret it. When we tasted it, it was one of the best croquettes I tried. It is creamy, tasty and well seasoned, and every time I go to this restaurant, I always order this food.
Because I love this appetizer, I decided to make my version of chicken croquette recipe. Surprisingly, it was successful despite it was a little bit watery. After several modifications, I have finally made my perfect croquette dish.
The Ingredients needed for chicken croquette recipe
For a chicken croquette recipe, there are several ingredients you need which are very important for this dish. I use shredded chicken breast, which I boiled them first, and then once it is cooked, I shredded them into small pieces. To make the croquette creamy, I use oil, butter, and milk. They are needed to moisten the meat. Furthermore, to have a nice taste, you need chopped onion, parsley, and salt & black pepper. Lastly, you need white flour to make the chicken can stick together. This is important because you don’t want the chicken to be watery or soft before frying them.
In addition to the ingredients I mentioned above, you also need an egg, and flour/bread crumbs when rolling them before the croquette. Some prefer to roll their croquette using breadcrumbs while others use ordinary white flour.
Is there a difference between using Flour or Breadcrumbs?
Personally, I prefer flour since if you use breadcrumbs, you can’t tell if it is fully cooked or not. The color will be darkened, but if you eat it, it might be a bit soft. Unlike flour, you can harden the croquette without overcooking it.
The picture you see above is an example of a chicken croquette recipe using breadcrumbs. It looks cooked, but if you eat it, it is a little soft. That is why you need to make sure you add a lot of flour while mixing the chicken and other ingredients. On the other hand, in the first paragraph, the chicken dish is fried using flour instead of breadcrumb. I prefer using flour, and it is more appetizing
Things you need to know before frying
Before you will start frying the chicken croquette, you will have to chill the chicken mixture into the refrigerator for 1 hour. That is because putting into the refrigerator will help harden the chicken mixture, which will be easy to shape them into the ball with flour and fry. If you will automatically cook the croquette without chilling them into the refrigerator, there is a possibility the chicken will break down while frying.
The picture above is what the chicken mixtures look like once it was stored into the refrigerator for 1 hour. If it is hard, this is when you call tell it is the right time to start frying the chicken croquette.
The Cooking instruction of Chicken Croquette Recipe
To cook the chicken croquette, first, add oil and butter in a large cooking pan. Once the butter melted, add onion and stir for few minutes or till light brown. Later, you add the chicken and parsley and mix it well. Lastly, add milk, flour, salt, and black pepper, and mix it well. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
After your done cooking the chicken mixture, transfer into a tray, cover it, put it into a refrigerator for 1 hour. Avoid placing into the freezer, it will just make the chicken too hard, making it difficult for you to roll them into a ball.
After 1 hour, remove from the refrigerator, and prepare egg, and flour or breadcrumb. In this post, we will focus more on the flour rather than the breadcrumb. Roll the chicken into a round-shaped, dip into flour followed by the egg. Prepare to add cooking oil into the deep frying pan, and wait till it is hot. Lastly, put each chicken ball into the oil, and let it cook for few minutes or till it becomes brown. Remove them from the pan, and cook the remaining the croquette.
Below is the full instruction of chicken croquette recipe
The Best Chicken Croquette RecipeCourse: AppetizersCuisine: WesternDifficulty: Easy
Chicken Croquette Recipe is a fried chicken ball which is made from chicken, milk, butter, onion, parsley, and other herbs.
2 cup of shredded chicken breast
2 tablespoon of parsley
1 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup of flour
1 cup of milk
3 tablespoon of unsalted butter
2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 cup of white flour
Vegetable cooking oil for frying
- Add oil and butter in the pan. Make sure the butter is fully melted
- Once the butter is melted, add onion. Stir it for few minutes or till light brown.
- Add milk followed by flour. Mix well
- Add the shredded chicken, parsley and salt & black pepper. Mix together in circular motion.
- Once it is well mixed, transfer into the tray, and covered with a foil or plastic sheet. Let it chill into the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After one hour, remove the chicken mixture from the refrigerator, and prepare the egg and flour.
- By using 2 teaspoons, roll the chicken into a round shape. Dredge it with flour, and then dip into the egg. Repeat the process on the other croquettes
- Add oil in the deep frying pan in Medium Low heat. Once it is hot, put the croquettes in to the pan, and let it cook for 3 minutes or until it becames dark brown. After frying, served with any sauce you like.
- The food recipe above is focused more on flour. if you will like to coat the chicken croquettes with breadcrumb, you can dredged it first with flour, followed by dipping into the egg, and then with breadcrumbs.
20 servings per container
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat 15g 24%
- Saturated Fat 5g 25%
- Cholesterol 160mg 54%
- Sodium 600mg 25%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Potassium 380mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate 35g 12%
- Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 21g 42%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.