Spanish Garlic Prawns is a Spanish dish that is mixed with olive oil, garlic, prawns or shrimp, paprika, and lemon. This dish has low carbs and it is Keto friendly. The first time I tried this food was in a Spanish restaurant where they serve this delicious shrimp dish. That food inspired me to make my version of Gambas al Ajillo.
Shrimps or Prawns are one of my favorite Seafoods in my life. They taste delicious and it does not have bones like Crabs or other fishes.
In this post, I will be showing you how to cook a Spanish Garlic Prawns also known as Gambas al Ajillo.
Ingredients needed to make Spanish Garlic Prawns
The recipe for Spanish Garlic Prawns or Gambas al Ajillo is relatively easy compared to other seafood dishes. To cook this dish, there are 3 main ingredients you need: prawn, garlic, and olive oil. In addition to that, I also use a half slice of lemon, paprika, salt, black pepper, and parsley.
Adding paprika is just an option, and it depends on you. I like to use Spanish paprika since it gives a nice sweet flavor. But, you can use smoked paprika if you want. Furthermore, I am using extra virgin olive oil for this recipe. I prefer extra virgin olive oil because it is made from pure and cold-pressed olives, which has a stronger olive taste. Also, extra virgin olive oil is much healthier which has many benefits in our body. You can, however, use pure olive oil if you like. Personally, I love using olive oil in my dishes, and they make the taste good.
Is there a difference between Shrimp and Prawn?
I was asked from someone what is the difference between prawn and shrimp? And can you use shrimp instead? The truth is, it doesn’t matter because they both taste the same. The only difference is the structural shape of their body which is not a big deal. If you will like to use shrimp, you are more than welcome to do so. Sometimes, I use shrimp or prawn in this dish, and it only depends on the availability in the market.
What are the kitchen equipment needed?
To make this dish, you only need a cooking pan or saute pan where you will cook your delicious shrimp or prawn.
Instruction of how to cook Keto Spanish Garlic Prawns
To cook this amazing dish, you add olive oil in the pan. Once it is hot, add garlic and let it cook until it is brown. And then add prawns, and let it cook for 30 seconds on each side or until it turns pink. And lastly, you add paprika, lemon, salt, and black pepper, and stir it quickly. Turn off the fire right away, and garnished the dish with parsley.
Take note that once you add the paprika and the remaining ingredients, turn off the fire right away. You do not want to overcook the shrimp since it will make the size smaller.
Below is the full instruction of how to cook this amazing recipe:
Spanish Garlic Prawns Recipe (Gambas al Ajillo)Course: MainCuisine: SpanishDifficulty: Easy
Spanish Garlic Prawns Recipe (Gambas al Ajillo) is a Spanish dish that is mixed with prawn, olive oil, garlic, and paprika. It is garnished with parsley.
500 grams of prawns (OR Shrimp if you don’t have prawn)
1 teaspoon of spanish paprika
1/2 cup of olive oil
8 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoon of chopped parsley
salt and black pepper for taste
half slice of lemon
- Add an olive oil. Wait till it turns hot
- Once it is hot, add garlic and let it cook up to one minute or until it turns light brown
- Add the prawns in the pan, and cook for 30 seconds in each side or until it turns light pink. DO NOT overcooked the prawn
- Add paprika, lemon, salt and black pepper in the pan. Sir it quickly for less than 10 seconds, and turn off the heat. Add parsley for garnish.
- If you don’t have prawn, you can just use shrimp instead
- I use extra virgin olive oil, but you can use pure olive oil if you like. DO NOT use vegetable cooking oil. It will not taste good
- You can use Smoked paprika or Spanish Paprika if you like.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat 25g 39%
- Saturated Fat 3g 15%
- Cholesterol 130mg 44%
- Sodium 270mg 12%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Potassium 415mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate 6g 2%
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Protein 20g 40%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.