Chicken Sandwich Spread is a delicious Filipino style chicken sandwich recipe which is mixed with mayonnaise, shredded chicken breast, onion, condensed milk and lettuce. It is perfect to eat with french fries or any chips you like.
My mother made this easy Filipino style chicken sandwich which has a sweet taste. In the beginning, I was hesitant because the chicken sandwich is not supposed to taste sweet. But the moment I taste the sandwich, I find it very delicious.
The sweetness of the sandwich blends perfectly with eating side dishes such as french fries or any salty chips. In addition to that, I love eating my sandwiches with pickles. The sweetness from this sandwich and sourness of the pickle fits well.
This homemade chicken sandwich spread is a Filipino version, which is a traditional sandwich here in the Philippines. As you know, Filipino foods are influenced by Spanish, Chinese, and American. Also, in my experience, the locals love making their food sweet or salty, which makes sense why this sandwich has a sweet taste.
The Chicken Spread Sandwich Recipe is based on my mother's recipe which is very simple since you only need fewer ingredients for this dish. Thankfully, my mother taught me this recipe, which I will be showing you how to make chicken spread Filipino style.
The ingredients of Chicken Sandwich Spread Recipe is very easy and readily available in any grocery stores.
Chicken Breast- I prefer boneless chicken breast since it is easy to shred them into pieces
Onion- I use red onion which I put together with the chicken when boiling in the pot. The onion adds a flavor to the chicken.
Mayonnaise- This is one of the most important condiments for making a sandwich spread. You can use any type of mayonnaise.
Condensed Milk- In the Philippines, we use condensed milk for our Filipino chicken sandwich spread. The reason why I like to use condensed milk is that it will help give a sweet taste to the chicken but not too sweet
Black Pepper and Salt- You will need to season your chicken spread
Step by Step Instruction
The step to make your homemade chicken spread sandwich is extremely easy. First, add a water in the pot.
- Chopped the onion into bigger square pieces and put the chicken breast into the pot, and wait till its boiling.
- Once the chicken breast is cook, turn off the heat, and remove the chicken from the boiling water. Wait till it cool down.
- Shred the chicken breast into pieces, and add mayonnaise, salt, black pepper and condensed milk to make a spread.
- Lastly, once you are done, prepare two slice of bread, add lettuce and spread your sandwich. Put in the grill toaster, and wait till it is done or has crispy texture.
- Serve it with fries, vegetables or pickles, and you are done. You can slice your sandwich into 4 smaller pieces like the picture below.
What bread to use for this sandwich spread?
In this recipe, I am using just an ordinary white sliced bread. However, if you prefer something different, you can use other kinds of bread. Based on my experience, here is the list of bread that you can use to spread or dip on your sandwiches.
- Baguette Bread
Variation and Tips
- If you prefer gluten-free, there are some types of mayonnaise, such as Hellman's, Heinz, or Sir Kensington's that do not contain gluten or lactose. Also, you don't need to use condensed milk since it has gluten.
- If you don't like to use onion, you can switch with chives, green onion, or celery. You can put them along with the mayonnaise, shredded chicken, and the rest of the ingredients.
- For healthier bread, use whole wheat sliced bread since it contains fiber and is low in sugar.
- If you want to store the remaining chicken spread, keep it in a jar. If you made a sandwich ahead and then you put it in the fridge, this may potentially spoil it faster.
- You can also add herbs and spring onion-like celery to enhance the flavor of the chicken spread
- If you don't like to use condensed milk, you can replace it with more mayonnaise and sugar.
- You can use other breads like tortilla, brioche, bagel, croissant or baguette.
- You can use onion powder instead of red onion
Frequently Asked Questions
The chicken spread sandwich is good for 6 to 7 sandwiches. However, it is not expected that you will consume all of it in one day, unless you are making a party. The remaining sandwich spread can be kept in a jar where you can store in the refrigerator for later use.
When you keep it in the fridge, the chicken spread will not get spoiled, and it can last up to 2 weeks. That way, if you want to make your delicious sandwich on other days, this will be very convenient and easy to prepare.
When eating your favorite sandwich spread, it always goes well with french fries or potato chips. Since this sandwich is a bit sweet, you need to balance with salty side dishes.
I love eating any sandwiches with fries/chips, and this will not be complete if you eat it alone. Also, it is nice to serve with slices of cucumber and tomatoes, or even vegetable pickled.
When making Sandwich Spread, I only using grill toaster when toasting my sandwich. This will give a nice crispy texture of the sandwich.
Also, you need a cooking pot where you will be boiling the chicken and put the onion there.
Related Chicken Recipes to Try
📋 Recipe Card
Chicken Sandwich Spread
- 2 Whole Boneless Chicken Breast
- 7 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon condensed Milk
- 1 Medium Onion, cut into pieces
- Black Pepper and Salt for Taste
- 6 Medium Leaves Lettuce
- 6 Pieces Sliced White Bread
- Prepare putting Water in the Pot. Wait till its almost boiling
- Put the chicken and chopped onion in the pot. Let boil for 5 minutes. Wait till the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Cool it down before shredding the chicken.
- Shred the chicken into pieces. Add Mayonnaise, condensed milk, salt and black pepper, and mix all of them.
- Prepare the sliced bread. Spread the chicken sandwich and then add the lettuce.
- Put the spread sandwich into the grill toaster. Wait till it turn light brown or become crispy. Served with cucumber, tomatoes, fries or anything you like.
Fascinating! I can't believe condensed milk is used with this, but I can so see it working - thanks for an interesting recipe!
When I get bored of all the sandwiches out there I find this :O. I never would've thought to use condensed milk in a sandwich with chicken but I love trying out food from other countries and this is a perfect one for me! Thank you so much for the recipe :).
Condensed milk is a common ingredient used among locals in the Philippines. They used it on their sweet spaghetti and chicken spread sandwich. It sounds weird but it makes the sandwich delicious and creamy. You can alternatively used sugar if condensed milk is not your type.
This sounds delicious! What a great idea for a sandwich!
Thanks Danielle. Glad you like it.
I have never attempted using condensed milk, so sounds interesting and definitely yum too. Love to make some yummy and delicious sandwiches for the family soon.
They make the chicken spread sandwich sweet (not overwhelming) and creamy. It is commonly used in the Philippines.
This was such a fabulous recipe! It was so easy to make and had the best flavor!
Glad you like it 🙂
Interesting use of condensed milk in a chicken sandwich. Definitely going to try this!
I would never have thought to turn chicken into a spread.
Your sandwich looks yummy. I was interested in your ingredient of condensed milk in your spread. I will have to give that a try.
I'm big on Sandwiches so this is going to be tried later on today thank you.
I love chicken salad sandwiches but have never made it into a spread or added condensed milk. On my to try list!