Roasted Herb Chicken is an oven-baked chicken that is mixed with many spices and herbs. My roasted chicken is flavorful which has a crispy texture on the outside but moist meat on the inside.
I love eating chicken, and I tend to eat this with flatbread or rice. In my experience, I tried many kinds of roasted chicken in other countries such as Kuwait and the Philippines. Each of them has different delicious flavors.
In my experience in Kuwait, there roasted chicken is mixed with middle eastern spices which are served with garlic sauce and pita bread. It is one of the best-roasted chicken I tried in my life. While in the Philippines, their roasted chicken is a bit different since it has a salty flavor which they use soy sauce as one of their main ingredients. This dish is best to eat with rice, and not bread.
Furthermore, I also tried a western version of roasted chicken in an American restaurant called Kenny Roger. It is very flavorful and it is perfect to eat with any carbs and salad.
Because of these experience, this inspired me to make my version of Roasted Herb Chicken.
Ingredients Needed for Roasted Herb Chicken
My roasted chicken recipe is a fusion version- Meaning the ingredient I use is a mixture of Middle Eastern and Asian components. There are several ingredients I use for roasting a chicken which requires specific spices and herbs.
- Coriander, Paprika and Zaatar- These are the 3 main spices I use when marinating my chicken. Zaatar is a specific Middle Eastern spices which is mixed of oregano, thyme, sumac and marjoram. If you don't have Zaatar, you can just use Thyme or Oregano instead and that is perfectly fine since the truth is Zaatar has a similar taste like Thyme or Oregano
- Minced Garlic and Ginger- These two herbs gives a nice garlicky and gingery flavor of the chicken. They are common herbs use in Asian cuisines.
- Onion- This is also another herb that can give a nice flavor of the chicken. I chopped the onion into a square or round shaped instead of mincing them. That is because I like to put the onion inside the cavity of the chicken, and put them around the chicken. This will give a nice roasted flavor of the onion. While roasting, the chicken will be releasing the juices and the combination of onion will make the sauce taste delicious.
- Olive Oil- I used this when mixing the herbs and spices. This will help me marinate and moisten the chicken.
- Lemon- This will help moisten the chicken and gives a nice flavor. You can put it inside the cavity or outside.
- Salt and Black Pepper- I seasoned them inside the cavity and around the chicken. Also, I live drizzle pinch of salt before putting into the oven.
- Lemongrass- This is one of the best Asian herbs I recommend for your roasted chicken. It gives a nice aroma which I put inside the cavity.
What Kind of Oven do I use for roasting the chicken?
I am currently living in an apartment and I only use electrical oven which looks like a large microwave. This is very convenient and easy to use if you live in an apartment, which I usually baked most of my food there without any problem.
Steps of cooking this recipe
The steps of cooking a roasted chicken is easy and straightforward.
First, preheat the oven in 180 Degree Celsius. Mix the coriander, paprika, zaatar (thyme) minced garlic & ginger, and olive oil into a small bowl. This will be used to marinate the chicken.
Before marinating the chicken, mix the chicken with salt and black pepper both inside and outside. Marinate the chicken with mixed spices and herbs, both inside and outside.
Put an aluminum foil into the baking pan. Drizzle the olive oil into the foil before putting the chicken. The olive oil will help prevent sticking the chicken after it is roasted. Put the chopped onion around the chicken into the pan. You can also put the dill herbs above the chicken. Put lemongrass, onion, and slice of lemon inside the cavity of the chicken. Drizzle the chicken with salt before transferring into the oven. Baked for 180 C for 60 minutes. After it is done, baked for another 30 minutes using 200 C.
The 180 degree C or 350 degree F will help make the roasted chicken moist, while the 200 degree C or 400 degree F will give the chicken a nice brown crispy texture.
Still confused? Don't worry, here is the full steps of a Roasted Herb Chicken Recipe.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 tablespoon Zaatar
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika Powder
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion (Cut them into 4 pieces)
- 2 slices Lemon
- 1 lemongrass
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Add the spices, minced garlic and ginger, and olive oil into a small bowl. Mix them all
- Mix the chicken first with salt and black pepper. After that, marinate the chicken using the brush or your hand.
- Put an Aluminium foil into the baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Transfer the chicken into the pan. Put lemongrass, onion, and slice of lemon inside the cavity of the chicken. Also, put the remaining onions around the chicken.
- Drizzle the chicken with salt before transferring into the oven. Baked for 180 C for 60 minutes. After it is done, baked for another 30 minutes using 200 C. Once you are done, let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- You will notice the chicken release juice/sauce. Put it in a separate small bowl. This can be used as a dipping sauce for the chicken.
- If you don’t have Zaatar, you can use thyme instead.
- Putting Dill above the chicken is just an optional
- This chicken is serve perfectly with pita bread or flat bread.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 523Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 132mgSodium 316mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 42g
Other Baked or Roasted Chicken Dish
Roasted Herb Chicken is one of the few recipes I use to bake in the oven. If you are looking for a chicken recipe that involves baking or roasting, I have other recipes that you may like to try at home: