Stir Fried Bitter Melon with Egg is a Asian dish that is mixed with bitter gourd/melon, onion, garlic, and scrambled egg. It is perfectly eaten with rice, and as a half Asian, rice is a very important carbohydrate in our life.
When I was a kid, I always avoid eating food that has bitter melon. You can tell by the name of it, it is bitter. However, as the time goes by, I decided to enjoy eating this food.
To make this dish appetizing, I decided to cook a nice dish recipe called the Fried Bitter Gourd with Egg. In some countries, bitter gourd is the another name of this vegetables. While in the Philippines, they called an Ampalaya. Basically, I am cooking a filipino version dish called the Ginisang Ampalaya.
This is a very healthy dish since it can help reduce the blood sugar in people with diabetes type II. Furthermore, it contain high sources of vitamin and mineral which is good for your body. Lastly, it is one of the best vegetables to help you lose weight since it contain only 20 calories per cup.
What are the list of Ingredients needed?
To make this dish, also known as Ginisang Ampalaya, you only need 4 important ingredients: Onion, Garlic, Bitter Melon and Egg.
They are extremely straight forward and simple. One thing you need to know that I seasoned the egg, which I added salt (1/2 teaspoon) and sugar (1 teaspoon). That way, you don’t need to add salt when you are almost done the cooking.
How is the Bitter Melon Prepared?
First of all, you will have to remove all the seeds in the bitter melon. That is because we don’t eat the seeds, and of course, they are very bitter. As you can see the picture below on the left side, I remove the entire seeds including the white stuff.
Once you remove the seeds, sliced them into small pieces, and soaked it in the water. It must be soaked for 1 to 1.5 hours. That is because soaking with water can help remove the bitterness of the bitter gourd. This is useful for those who do not like eating bitter food.
Lastly, while it is soaked in water, I added 1 teaspoon of salt directly in the bitter melon. This helps further reduce the bitterness of those vegetables.
If you don’t like to soak the vegetable in the water, another option is washing the bitter gourd with salt and leave it there for 15 to 30 minutes. This will help remove the bitterness without soaking in the water.
How to Cook Stir Fried Bitter Melon with Egg?
It is very simple to cook this dish. Firstly, you add the garlic and onion and stirred it for a few minutes. Once it became light brown or lighter, add the bitter melon. You will let it cook in low heat for 5 minutes. Later, you add the egg in the frying pan and make it as if you are making a scrambled egg. And now you are done.
To know the full detail of the recipe, here is the instruction below:
Stir-Fried Bitter Melon with Egg RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: Asian, FilipinoDifficulty: Easy
This is a healthy Filipino dish called Ginisang Ampalaya, which is a stir fried bitter melon with egg.
2 cups of raw bitter melon
2 tablespoon of vegetable cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 small onion (1/2 cup)
2 large cloves of garlic
- Add cooking oil in the frying pan in low heat. Once it is hot, add garlic, and stir it for up to 1 minute. Later, add the onion and stir it for few minutes till it turns light brown.
- Add the raw bitter melon in the frying pan, and stir it for up to 30 seconds. Covered it, and let it cooked for up to 5 minutes.
- While the bitter melon is being cooked; add two eggs, salt, and sugar in a small bowl and mix it well.
- Add the egg in the frying pan. Mix it well like as if you are cooking a scrambled egg
- Before cooking the raw bitter melon, make sure you added salt and soaked it in the water 1 to 1.5 hours. Soaking the bitter melon will make the taste less bitter
3 servings per container
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Cholesterol 50mg 17%
- Sodium 350mg 15%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Potassium 150mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate 8g 3%
- Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 3g 6%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
If you are looking for more Asian or Filipino recipes, I have other dishes that you love to cook in your kitchen
If you have any comments or questions, I will love to hear from you.