Greek Flatbread Recipe is a round flatbread dough recipe which is made from flour, water and yeast. Flatbread is very popular and widely used in the Middle East, Asia and other Mediterranean countries. This is one of my favorite bread which I like to eat it with some of my Middle Eastern and Asian dishes such as Makdous or Butter Chicken.
In each countries, they have their version of flatbread, and they use it for their sandwiches such as shawarma, falafel or gyrus. Furthermore, they also use for dipping sauces such as hummus or baba ganoush.
To be honest, the flatbread or pita bread are basically the same in most countries since they mostly use similar ingredients. The only difference is some of them use butter, yogurt, milk or water. Also, my recipe is leavened bread since I am using yeast as one of the ingredients. If you don’t use yeast, you will be producing an unleavened bread such as tortilla.
In this post, I will be showing you how to make my version of Greek Flatbread Recipe.
Ingredients of this flatbread dough recipe
The ingredient of this flatbread dough recipe is very similar like any other breads. Here are the list of ingredients below:
- All Purpose Flour– If you want to add whole wheat flour, you can make it 50% whole wheat and 50% All purpose flour
- Milk– To have a nice flavor, I add 50% milk and 50% water.
- Salt– I am using iodized salt for giving taste of the bread. DO NOT use sea salt or add too much salt because this slow down the growth of the yeast.
- Sugar– This can give a sweetness of the flatbread.
- Olive Oil– This will give a soft and smooth texture of the bread. When I am kneading the bread, this will help prevent sticking on my hand.
- Yeast– Because I am making a leavened bread, this raising agent will help grow the dough. You need to mix this milk or water before putting into the flour. Do not mix the with hot water since it can kill the yeast.
What is the difference between Leavened and Unleavened Flatbread?
My Greek flatbread dough recipe is leavened bread which mean that I am using a raising agent like yeast to help grow my dough. Usually, you need to wait for 1 to 2 hours for the dough to grow before you can start baking or cooking the bread. This is very similar like naan, pita bread or arabic kuboos since they all use yeast.
On the other hand, unleavened bread are those flatbread that do not use yeast. This kind of flatbread do not cause the dough to grow and you can cook it right away. Example of unleavened bread includes Tortilla or Chapati.
Can you Freeze this Homemade Flatbread?
After you cooked these delicious Greek flatbread using the oven or the skillet (My preferred cooking method), you will be storing them in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. This easy flatbread dough recipe can last in the freezer for up to 1 month. This is more convenient if you want to use them for other days.
Also, when reheating them, I put in the skillet/pan or directly in the fire gas stove. There is no specific time duration when reheating the flatbread. You just have to make sure you remove the flatbread right away when it becomes warm and soft.
Note: If you want to reheat them using a microwave, make sure you adjust the intensity in low power for less than a minute. This will help prevent making the flatbread hard or crispy which I am sure you don’t want this to happen in your bread.
Step by Step Instructions
Making a Greek flatbread dough recipe is easier than I thought. Firstly, mix the yeast with the water and the milk. After that, add the yeast mixture together with the flour, salt, sugar, and olive oil. Mix and Knead the dough. Add more flour if it’s too sticky or adds more water if it has too much flour.
While kneading and mixing the flour, add a tablespoon of olive oil so it can have a smooth texture and it can further prevent sticking from your hand. Cover it and leave it for 1 to 2 hours. After that, remove the dough and roll into a long cylindrical shape, and use a knife to divide them into 8 to 10 balls.
On each ball, roll the dough into a circle shape using a rolling pin. Later, prepare a skillet or pan in low medium heat and rub them with a bit of olive oil or butter. Once it is hot, put the dough into the pan. Heat it for 30 to 45 seconds or until it starts to puff up. Flip it and repeat the process. You will expect to see the flatbread a few brown spots which are expected when it is cooked.
If you like to know to more, here is the full instruction of Greek Flatbread Recipe.
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour or any white flour
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup Additional water (Optional)
- 2 tablspoon Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Yeast
- 1 cup Flour (For rolling the dough)
- Add the milk, 1/2 cup of water and yeast in a large cup. Mix it together
- In a separate large bowl, add the flour, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and sugar.
- Add the yeast mixture into the dry ingredients. Use your hand to mix it together. Later, add additional 1/4 cup of water to help mix and knead the dough. Keep kneading until the dough become soft and smooth. By that time, the dough will not stick to your hand.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil. Knead again for 30 seconds. This will give a very fluffy and smooth dough.
- Cover the dough with plastic and then a round plate. Leave it for 1 to 2 hours
- Once the dough grow, transfer into a clean and empty table. Make sure the table is dry and add few drops of flour to prevent the dough sticking to it.
- Use your hand to roll the dough into a long cylindrical shape. Use a knife to divide into 8 to 10 pieces. Shape each pieces into a ball.
- Add few drops of flour on the table before rolling each pieces of ball. Stroke the ball gently using the rolling pin to help make a nice circle flatbread.
- In a skillet or pan, turn on the fire on low or medium-low heat. Put the flatbread in the pan, and let it heat for 30 to 45 seconds or until it start to puff up.
- Once it started to puff up, flip it and heat that side for 30 to 45 seconds
- Transfer each flatbread into a plate. Cover it with warm towel to make sure bread remains warm and soft. Repeat the process of the rest of the flatbread.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 266Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 1mgSodium 115mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 7g