Prawn Masala is a spicy Indian prawn dish that is mix with authentic spices, coconut milk, herbs, and tomatoes. It is best to eat with plain rice or roti.
I love Indian food, and this is one of my favorite cuisines in the world. Their food is very flavorful and rich in spices. Also, some of their foods are spicy, which I find delicious.
Not long ago, I went to an Indian restaurant here in the Philippines, and on the menu, they serve Shrimp Masala curry. I love shrimps, prawns, and other seafood, and this is what persuades me to order this dish. It is so mouthwatering, which is one of my favorite prawn dishes I tried in my life.
Because I love Indian food, I will be showing you my version of a spicy Indian prawn masala which I promise you will love it.
For making Prawn Masala Recipe, here are the list of ingredients I use for this dish.
- 500 gram of Prawns
- coconut milk or cream
- Fresh tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Spices (Check in the next paragraph)
Firstly, I am using fresh prawns for my recipe. I prefer fresh over frozen because they have better flavor, and it tastes good.
Secondly, I used coconut milk or cream in my dish. In my experience, coconut milk makes the masala creamy and tasty.
Lastly, more importantly, there are several Indian spices you need for this recipe. Without them, you can’t cook any Indian food. Here is the list of spices I used for my prawn masala recipe:
- Garam Masala
- Coriander Powder
- Red Kashmiri Chilli Powder
Out of these spices, Garam masala is one of the main spices for this dish. I use this spice in most of my Indian recipes, such as my Butter Chicken Recipe.
What do you serve this recipe with?
This food is best to eat and serve with any white rice, roti or bread recipe. I love eating my prawn masala using my homemade Greek flatbread recipe.
Also, when eating this prawn dish, I recommend to add healthy side dishes to balance your diet. For healthy side dishes, it is best to serve with any salads you like. To me, I prefer to serve it with my Arabic salad and it blends well.
Step by Step Instruction
Firstly, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the pan. Once it is hot, add chopped onions followed by grated ginger and garlic. Stir for few minutes till it is cook. Later, add chopped tomatoes and give it a quick stir.
Add garam masala, coriander, turmeric, and chili powder and stir again to mix. Once it is cook, let it cool down before transferring into the blender to make a paste. Add 1/2 cup of water on the blender before turning on the power.
Once it turned into a paste, add a tablespoon of olive oil in the same pan before transferring the paste. Mix it well for less than a minute before adding the coconut milk.
Add the prawns and mix it with the sauce. While simmering, add salt, black peppers, and chopped coriander. Mix it and let it continue simmering for 5 to 8 more minutes to have a nice thick sauce.
Serve with rice or roti and slice of lemon before eating.
Tips and Hints
- You can cook this recipe without using a blender. But, you need to add more water and let it simmer a little longer to help liquefy the tomatoes, the spices, and other solid ingredients.
- When adding the coconut milk or cream, do not simmer more than 15 minutes since this will evaporate the sauce of the prawn masala
- Also, after adding the prawns, do not simmer more than 10 minutes since overcooking them will give a rubbery or chewy texture.
- If you don’t want to make this dish spicy, you can use paprika instead of chili powder to help give a nice red color of the masala dish.
- Instead of fresh tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes or tomato sauce.
- Drizzling with lemon while serving will help enhance the flavor of this recipe.
- You can use prawn or shrimp in this recipe
Other Seafoods Recipe to Try
Have you tried making Prawn Masala using this recipe? Let me know in the comment below