Penne Carbonara is a penne pasta recipe that is mixed with different cheeses, cream, and sausages. It is creamy, easy to make and so delicious that it will melt in your mouth.
Penne Carbonara is one of my favorite pasta I tried in my life. In my experience, I tried many pasta dishes in many restaurants, and most of them taste different but delicious. These pasta include spaghetti, lasagna, alfredo or carbonara.
Today, I will love to share to you my delicious creamy penne carbonara recipe pasta. This is a creamy pasta dish that is mixed with sausage and a lot of cheese. In case you are wondering what type of carbonara is it, this is my Filipino-style carbonara.
Penne Pasta- I am using Penne Pasta for this recipe since this is one of my favorite pasta noodles.
Cream- I am using Light Cream since it is not too fatty and heavy. Also, it will provide sauce and moisten my pasta. I want to make sure my pasta will be creamy and not dry because this will ruin the taste.
Cheese- I use two kinds of cheeses in my dish: Cheddar and Parmesan cheese. I grated first the cheddar cheese so that it will be easy to dissolve during cooking. On the other hand, I use parmesan cheese powder since it is convenient, and you do not need to grate them.
Sausage- I am using beef sausage for my protein meat. I like using smoked beef since it gives a smoky flavor to my penne carbonara pasta. I like using smoked beef since it gives a smoky flavor to my penne carbonara pasta.
How to cook the Penne Pasta
When I am cooking my penne carbonara, I simultaneously boiled my penne pasta. This is because you don't need to consume more time when waiting for the noodle pasta.
To boil the pasta, just follow the instruction on the package, but it is usually between 5 to 10 minutes. Also, to have a nice pasta taste, add a tablespoon of oil and salt to give good flavor and prevent the stickiness of the penne.
Once the pasta noodle is cooked, transfer them into the colander and wash them with cold water to stop the cooking process, and prevent it from sticking together.
How to cook the Carbonara Sauce
- Firstly, add oil to the pot. Once it is hot, add onion and stir it for up to 2 minutes or till it turns light brown.
- Next, I added the sausage to the pot. Stir it quickly and let it cook for 3 to 5 minutes
- Later, I added the cream & water and mix well. After that, add both the mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Stir to mix and then let it simmer for a few minutes to absorb the flavor
- Once you are done, turn off the heat, and then transfer the drained pasta from the colander into the saucepot, and mix it gently. Serve with garlic bread or any side dishes you like
What to serve this carbonara recipe with?
You can eat this delicious penne carbonara since it is already a heavy meal. But I like to serve it with my homemade garlic bread using sliced bread or my special garlic mozzarella bread.
Additionally, I include some vegetable side dishes such as my homemade Caesar salad or any healthy salad you like.
Why don’t I add egg in this carbonara?
Traditionally, an egg is an important ingredient when making a carbonara recipe. However, my penne carbonara is a Filipino version in which you don’t put any egg at all.
- If you don’t have sausages, you can add ham or bacon
- You can replace penne pasta noodles with rigatoni, fettuccine or spaghetti.
- If you don’t have parmesan, you can switch it with Pecorino Romano. But this cheese is saltier so I will suggest you need to lessen the amount.
- Instead of Cheddar cheese, you can use American, Colby, or Gouda Cheese.
Other Pasta Recipes to Try
Here are other delicious pasta recipes that you can cook at home:
- Salmon Alfredo Pasta
- Pinoy Lasagna
- Filipino Spaghetti
📋 Recipe Card
Creamy Penne Carbonara Recipe
- 500 gram of Penne Pasta
- 4 Pieces Beef Sausage, sliced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoon of parmesan powder
- 1 cup of shredded grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of light cream or milk
- 1 cup of water
- Salt and Black Pepper for taste
- Add oil in the pot. Once it is hot, add onion and stir it for few minutes or until light brown.
- Once the onion is cooked, add beef sausage in the pot. Stir it well, and let it cook for 3 to 5 minutes in low heat.
- Add the light cream and water in the pot. Mix it well.
- Add both cheddar and parmesan cheese and mix it well.
- Lastly, transfer the drained the penne pasta from the colander into the pot. And Mix well before serving.
- If you don't have beef sausage, you can use Ham, Bacon, Hotdog, or any meat you prefer
- You can use fettuccine, rigatoni, or spaghetti if you like
- Make sure not to overcook the pasta noodle to prevent clumping them together.