Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe is a korean rice dish that is mixed with kimchi, bean sprout and gochujang sauce. It is served with sunny side up egg to add some protein. This is a vegetarian dish which is healthy and delicious. Furthermore, If you will like to add meat, ground beef is a perfect add on protein for this dish.
Do you know that Korean food is one of the healthiest food in the world? In the Philippines, I noticed there are Korean restaurants everywhere since it is very popular in this country. I have tried many korean restaurant in my current city, and I find them very delicious and spicy.
When eating in a Korean restaurant, I observed the common dish they served is Kimchi. It is a Korean fermented vegetable mixed with cabbage and radish. It has a sour taste, and it is mildly spicy because they added red pepper. The kimchi can be stored for many months or even years, which can be put in the refrigerator.
Some people may not like the taste since it has also a perfume smell. If the Middle East and the United States have their pickle, then Koreans as well have their Kimchi. Also, it is a very healthy dish that is rich in antioxidants and is considered as a probiotic food.
Ingredient needed for Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe
To cook this dish, you will need Kimchi since this is the main ingredient. I used prepared kimchi which is sold in Korean grocery stores. You can also find in a supermarket, where they sell imported food products in the international or Korean section.
One thing you need to know before frying the kimchi, you have to slice the kimchi into small pieces so it could be mixed well with the rice. In addition to that, I also use sesame oil to give a nutty flavor to the rice. In most Korean ingredients, sesame oil is as important as olive oil to western cuisine.
I also need Bean sprout to add vegetables in the rice, and ingredients to make a sauce. The sauce is a combination of soy sauce, sesame oil, kimchi juice, and gochujang (Korean red chili paste). The kimchi juice comes directly from the Kimchi. You might notice there is a liquid when removing the kimchi from the jar or container. If you don’t want the fried rice to be spicy, you don’t have to add gochujang in the sauce.
Before cooking the Kimchi fried rice, I already made a sunny side up egg. I also roasted the sesame seed using the frying pan. You just have to make sure it turns light brown (not dark brown) before removing it, and transfer to a separate cup for later garnish.
Instruction of how to cook this recipe
Kimchi fried rice recipe is easier than you think. Firstly, add oil in the frying pan. Once it is hot, add onion & garlic, and stir it for a few minutes. Later, add kimchi followed by bean sprout and stir it for a few minutes. Once the vegetable is almost cooked, add the rice and mix it well. Lastly, add sauces, sesame oil, and salt, and mix the rice again. Once it is done, make a sunny side up egg in a separate pan, and transfer into the rice, and you are done.
If you are interested to know how to make this korean rice dish, I have provided the full recipe below.
Easy Kimchi Fried Rice RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: KoreanDifficulty: Easy
Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe is a vegetarian Korean rice dish mixed with kimchi, bean sprouts, gochujang sauce, and served with sunny side up egg.
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 and 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce
1/4 cup of kimchi juice from the kimchi
1 teaspoon of Korean red chilli pasta gojuchang
3 cup of cooked Japanese Rice or any short grain rice
1 chopped of medium onion (1 cup)
3 gloves of garlic
1 and 1/2 cup of bean sprouts
1 cup of chopped kimchi
2 tablespoon of cooking oil
3 cooked sunny side up egg (1 egg for each serving rice)
1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seed (For Garnish)
- Add two tablespoon of cooking oil in the frying pan in a medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add onion first. Stir it for few minutes or until it turns light brown. After that, add garlic and stir it up to 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the kimchi in the frying pan, and stir until it almost cooked. Later, add the bean sprout, and mix it well. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice in the pan, and stir it for up to 1 minute. Add the sauce, and mix it well. After that, add a small pinch of salt, and then mix it again.
- For serving size, transfer 1 to 1.5 cup of kimchi rice in the plate or bowl. Add one sunny side up egg, and garnish with roasted sesame seed.
- If you don’t have gojuchang sauce, you can use siracha sauce instead
3 servings per container
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat 22g 34%
- Saturated Fat 3g 15%
- Sodium 600mg 25%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Potassium 310mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate 40g 14%
- Dietary Fiber 7g 29%
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 21g 42%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.