Korean food is one of the healthiest food in the world. In the Philippines, I noticed there are Korean restaurants everywhere since it is highly influenced in this country.
When eating in a Korean restaurant, I observed the common dish they served is Kimchi. It is a Korean fermented vegetable mixed with cabbage and radish. It has a sour taste, and it is mildly spicy because they added red pepper. The kimchi can be stored for many months or even years, which can be put in the refrigerator. Some people may not like the taste since it has also a perfume smell. If the Middle East and the United States have their pickle, then Koreans as well have their Kimchi.
It is a very healthy dish that is rich in antioxidants and is considered as a probiotic food, and because I love Korean food, I am inspired to cook my version of Kimchi Fried Rice.
Ingredient needed before cooking Kimchi Fried Rice
To cook Kimchi Fried Rice, you will need Kimchi since this is the main ingredient. I used prepared kimchi which is sold in Korean grocery stores. You can also find in a supermarket, where they sell imported food products in the international or Korean section.
One thing you need to know before frying the kimchi, you have to slice the kimchi into small pieces so it could be mixed well with the rice.
In addition to that, I also use sesame oil to give a nutty flavor to the rice. In most Korean ingredients, sesame oil is as important as olive oil to western cuisine.
I also need Bean sprout to add vegetables in the rice, and ingredients to make a sauce. The sauce is a combination of soy sauce, sesame oil, kimchi juice, and gochujang (Korean red chili paste). The kimchi juice comes directly from the Kimchi. You might notice there is a liquid when removing the kimchi from the jar or container. If you don’t want the fried rice to be spicy, you don’t have to add gochujang in the sauce.
Before cooking the Kimchi fried rice, I already made a sunny side up egg. I also roasted the sesame seed using the frying pan. You just have to make sure it turns light brown (not dark brown) before removing it, and transfer to a separate cup for later garnish.
If you are interested to know how to make the Kimchi Fried Rice, I have provided the full recipe below.
A Simple Kimchi Fried Rice RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: KoreanDifficulty: Easy
Kimchi Fried Rice is one of the most popular rice dish in Korea.
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1/4 cup of kimchi juice from the kimchi
1 teaspoon of Korean red chilli pasta gojuchang
3 cup of cooked Japanese Rice or any short grain rice
1 chopped of small onion (1/2 cup)
3 gloves of garlic
1 cup of bean sprouts
1 cup of chopped kimchi
2 tablespoon of cooking oil
3 cooked sunny side up egg (1 egg for each serving rice)
1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seed (For Garnish)
- Add two tablespoon of cooking oil in the frying pan in a medium heat.
- Once the oil is hit, add onion first. Stir it for few minutes or until it turns light brown. After that, add garlic and stir it up to 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the kimchi in the frying pan, and stir until it almost cooked. Later, add the bean sprout, and mix it well. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice in the pan, and stir it for up to 1 minute before adding the sauce, and mix it well Add a small pinch of salt, and then mix it again.
- For serving size, transfer 1 to 1.5 cup of kimchi rice in the plate or bowl. Add one sunny side up egg, and garnish with roasted sesame seed.
- The serving size could be either 3 or 4. If one cup of rice is enough for you, kimchi fried rice can serve for 4 persons.
- The Kimchi juice already provide sourly taste of the rice. If your kimchi does not have enough juice, add 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- Gojuchang is optional if you don’t want your kimchi fried rice to be too spicy