Chicken Nugget with Cheese is an easy cheese nugget mixed with different herbs and then dredge with flour, egg & breadcrumb, which is then deep fried in oil to have a beautiful golden brown. It is a family-friendly and kid-friendly recipe that you can serve during birthday parties, snacks, or children's dinners.
When I was a kid, chicken nugget is one of my favorite food my mother made this for my dinner. The nugget my mother made is a frozen product found in grocery stores.
Until now, I still love cheesy chicken nuggets, and I am sure both children and adults enjoy it too. But this time instead of buying from the grocery store, I decided to make my version of the chicken nugget recipe.
Making your homemade chicken nugget with cheese is better and healthier than the frozen packages sold in a grocery store since you will never know what type of artificial or chemical ingredients they put on it.
Why is this the best nugget?
Here are my 3 reasons why I believe this is one of the best chicken nugget recipe:
- It is easy to make since it doesn't need many ingredients, and it only takes less than 30 minutes to complete this recipe.
- The chicken nugget is filled with mozzarella cheese which the children and adults will find the food enticing.
- It is seasoned with different herbs which makes the chicken more flavorful.
Here are the ingredient to make this delicious cheesy chicken nugget recipe:
Ground Chicken: I am using a boneless chicken thigh which I make into a ground chicken using a food processor. I prefer the thigh part because it is much moister than the breast part.
Seasoning: To season the chicken nugget, I use different herbs like paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Italian seasoning is just an option which you can find in most large grocery stores. Of course, don't forget to add salt and black pepper.
Cheese: I use Mozzarella cheese for my chicken nugget
Dredging: To dredge the chicken, you will need an egg, flour, and breadcrumb.
Vegetable Oil: To deep fry the cheese nugget, you will need vegetable oil. I prefer canola oil since it is healthier for frying stuff than most cooking oil.
Step by Step Instruction
There are 3 things to do when making this delicious chicken nugget with cheese: Seasoning and Assembling the chicken, Dredging the nugget, and Deep frying the nugget.
1. Seasoning and Assembling the Chicken
- Firstly, I added all the herbs and spices, including salt and black pepper, to the ground chicken. Use your hand or spoon to mix thoroughly.
- Get 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of ground chicken mixture and roll it into a ball shape.
- Next, I flatten it out and placed a shredded mozzarella cheese in the center, and then roll into a ball shape.
- Repeat the rest and place it all on the plate.
2. Dredging the nugget
- Here, you need a separate bowl for the egg, flour, and breadcrumb. That is because I will be dredging each of my chicken balls.
- Firstly, I soaked my uncooked cheese nugget in egg, followed by flour and then breadcrumb.
- After that, I placed each on the plate and then I repeat the rest of the uncooked nuggets.
3. Deep Frying the Nugget
- Deep frying the cheese nugget is easiest. I pour the vegetable oil into the cooking pot for frying.
- Once the oil is hot, I placed the nugget on the oil. Let it deep fry till it turns a golden brown.
- Before you transfer to the plate, I placed the paper towel on the plate to help absorb the excess oil from the nugget.
- Serve it with ketchup, mayonnaise, or any sauce you like.
Tips and Hints
- If you want your cheesy chicken nugget tender and moist, use boneless chicken thigh. If you use chicken breast, your nugget might be dry if overcooked.
- If shredded mozzarella cheese is too hassle, you can use block mozzarella cheese since it doesn't fall off when assembling the chicken.
- Before you assemble and form the chicken into a ball shape, make sure you wet your hand first to prevent the ground chicken mixture from sticking to your hand.
What to serve this nugget with?
Chicken nugget is considered a food that you can serve with families, friends, or at your children's party. This recipe goes well with French fries, mac & cheese, and some delicious sauces like mayo-ketchup or barbecue sauce.
Additionally, you can also slice the nugget to make a sandwich and serve it with lettuce, tomatoes, square cheese, and your favorite sauce like ketchup or mayonnaise
Frequently Asked Question
If your chicken nugget is dry, it could be because you are using chicken breast and you overcooked it. Here are two ways how you can make your nugget tender:
A. Use boneless chicken thigh and ground it using the food processor
B. Instead of making a round ball shape, you can just flatten it in the shape of a nugget
Let's be honest. Anything deep-fried is never healthy since it contains high cholesterol. But if you want to cook nuggets in a healthier approach, you can just bake them in the oven or air fry them.
Once the nugget is fried, you can store it in the fridge for up to 7 days. But if you want it to last for 1 to 2 months, you can store the cooked nugget in the freezer.
Related Recipes to Try
📋 Recipe Card
Chicken Nugget with Cheese Recipe
- 1 Food Processor You will need that to ground your chicken thigh.
- 500 gram Ground Chicken Thigh
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 piece egg
- 1 cup breadcrumb
- 1 cup Canola Vegetable Oil
Seasoning and Assembling the Chicken
- Mix the ground chicken with all the herbs in the plate bowl.
- Use a spoon or your hand to mix thoroughly.
- Get 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of ground chicken mixture. Roll it into a ball shape and then flatten it out.
- Place a shredded mozzarella cheese in the center and then roll again into the shape of the ball. Repeat the rest and placed it all on the plate.
Dredging the nugget
- Place the egg, flour, and breadcrumb in each separate plate bowl
- Soaked the chicken ball into the flour, followed by the egg then the breadcrumb.
- Transfer to the plate and then repeat the rest.
Deep frying the Nugget
- Pour the vegetable oil into the cooking pot
- Once the oil is hot, place the uncooked nugget into the oil
- Let it deep fry till it turns golden brown.
- Let it deep fry till it turns golden brown.
- Serve it with mayonnaise, ketchup, or barbecue sauce.
- Using ground chicken from Thigh is much more tender than using the chicken breast. But you can use chicken breast if you want.
- You can use block mozzarella cheese instead of shredded cheese.
- Make sure you wet your hand with water before assembling the chicken. This will prevent the ground chicken from sticking to your hand.
- You can make your sandwich using this chicken nugget, and serve it with fries.