Chicken Pad Thai is a Thai rice noodle recipe which is mix with chicken, bean sprouts, rice noodle and a special tamarind sauce. This is a very popular street food among locals which is consider a national dish of Thailand.
Thai food has one of the best cuisines in the world. It is very flavorful and it has rich spices. Furthermore, their food is considered spicy which makes it very delicious.
The first time I tried Pad Thai when I visited a very popular street food called Sugbo Mercado in Cebu. One of the food stalls offers Thai food, and they serve a delicious pad Thai noodle. It is one of the best noodle dishes I ate since it is delicious and it has a rich flavor.
Because I love this noodle dish, I decided to make my version of Pad Thai Recipe
There are several ingredients you need in order to make delicious chicken pad thai recipe.
Firstly, you need rice noodle when cooking pad thai. This kind of noodle is readily found in Asian grocery stores. You can use glass noodle or egg noodle if you want, but I think it will taste weird and the texture might be different.
Secondly, I use chicken and shrimp as my protein. The shrimp is just optional, but I include this ingredient so I can have mixed of seafood and chicken in my dish.
Thirdly, I am using two vegetables which include bean sprouts and leaves of spring onion. In most pad thai dish, they use green chives, but I can't find it in the grocery stores, so I used spring onion instead.
Fourthly, I am including tofu in my noodle dish. I love tofu because not only it is rich in protein but it is healthy as well. Furthermore, garlic and onion are important herbs for this dish. You cannot cook any Asian dish without these two herbs.
Lastly, the most important ingredients you need is the sauce which includes tamarind paste, fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Without them, you can't cook Pad Thai dish.
Also, I used crashed unsalted peanut for garnishing my Pad Thai recipe.
Ingredient for the Sauce
When making a pad thai sauce, you have to estimate the amount of sauce to avoid having an overwhelming taste. The tamarind pasta has a sour taste while the fish sauce has a fishy and salty taste. One thing to know that these sauces are a combination of a salty, sweet and sour taste.
When I make my pad thai sauce, this is my measurement below:
- Fish Sauce: 3 tablespoon
- Tamarind Paste: 2 and ½ tablespoon
- Soy Sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Oyster Sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Brown Sugar: 3 tablespoon of sugar
- Water: 1 tablespoon
Before cooking pad thai, you will have to soak the rice noodle in warm water for 30 minutes. This will help makes the noodle soft before cooking in the pan.
Cooking this dish is easy and straight forward. Firstly, add oil in the frying pan. Once it is hot, add tofu and stir. Cook the tofu for few minutes till it becomes light brown. Add onion and garlic, and stir it for a few minutes. After that, add the chicken and stir for several minutes. You add the shrimp (optional) after the chicken is cooked and stir only for less than 30 seconds. Later, add the rice noodle in the pan, followed by the sauce and mix it well. Next, move the noodle and meat on the opposite side, and add the beating eggs on one side of the pan. Add oil if necessary. Stir it like making a scrambled egg, and when it is almost cooked, mix with the noodle. Add the beansprout and green onions, and mix it one more time. Lastly, garnished it with peanut and add calamansi on the side before serving.
Other Noodle Recipes to Try
If you love noodle dish, I have other recipes you may love to try cooking in your kitchen
Are you still confused? Don't worry, below is the step by step instruction of Chicken Pad Thai Recipe.
📋 Recipe Card
Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
- 4 ounces Rice Noodle
- 200 gram of chopped Chicken Breast
- 4 ounces of Tofu
- 4 medium Shrimp optional
- ¾ cup of chopped Onion
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- 2 cups of Bean sprout
- 1 cup of Leaves of Green Onion
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable Cooking Oil + 1 tablespoon when frying the egg
- 2 Eggs
Phad Thai Sauce
- 2 and ½ tablespoon of Tamarind Paste
- 1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Oyster Sauce
- 3 tablespoon of Fish Sauce
- 3 tablespoon of Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Water
- Add oil in the frying pan. Once it is almost hot, add tofu. Stir it for few minutes till it turn light brown
- Add onion followed by garlic. Stir it for few minutes again.
- Add chicken and quickly stir with the rest. Make sure the chicken is fully cooked before adding the shrimp.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the rice noodle followed by the sauce. Stir it
- Move the noodle and the meat on one side. Add oil before putting the egg on the opposite side. Scrambled the egg, and when it almost done, mix it with the noodle.
- Add the bean sprout and the leaves of the green onion. Mix it well with the noodle and the meat.
- When serving in a plate, garnished it with peanut and served with calamansi or lime.