Chicken Pesto Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes, by the name itself, is green cheesy pasta mixed with sundried tomatoes, chicken breast, and pesto sauce. It is an easy and quick recipe since this is a store-bought pesto sauce.
Pasta is one of my favorite western food to try in my life. Every country has its variation, but the western versions seem to be the best. One of the pasta dishes that I love and yet is simple is the pesto pasta.
The pesto pasta can either be pure vegetarian, or you can add chicken or shrimp. In my chicken pesto pasta, I am mixing with sun-dried tomatoes to add more twists. Also, for convenience, I just use a ready-made pesto sauce that I bought from the grocery store.
And lastly, every pasta dish cannot be complete without parmesan cheese. This type of cheese adds a salty & rich flavor to my pasta which makes guarantees you will not have bland pasta.
Here is the important ingredients you need to make this delicious Chicken Pesto Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes Recipe:
- Noodle: I am using a spaghetti noodle pasta in this recipe. You can use penne pasta if you like.
- Meat: I am using boneless chicken breast
- Olive Oil: I am using Extra-Virgin Olive Oil in my pasta. I highly recommend this type of oil since it adds rich olive flavor to my chicken pesto pasta.
- Sun-dried Tomatoes: You can found this in a grocery store.
- Parmesan Cheese: The cheese is a must if you want make a delicious pasta.
- Herbs: Onion, Garlic and Pesto Sauce
- Cream: This will make the pesto pasta creamy. But it is considered optional if you are not a fan of cream.
Notes: If you watched my recipe video, you will notice I didn't add any cream since it is considered optional.
What type of Pesto Sauce I am using?
In this recipe, I am using a prepared cheesy pesto sauce which the brand is Clara Ole, which is a product from the Philippines. I choose this product because it is a mix of cheese and pesto sauce. Also, you will notice that this sauce is watery, but it is a lot of olive oil.
Honestly, it doesn't matter what type of pesto sauce to use, and you can just buy any store-made pesto sauce you like.
Note: Please take note I am not promoting any products, and this is not a sponsored post. It is I prefer to use this product.
Step by Step Instruction
Cooking Chicken Pesto Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes is super easy and quick recipe.
Firstly, I add olive oil and unsalted butter and wait till it's melted. Next, I add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes, and I sauté for a few minutes before adding the chopped red onions.
After that, I add chopped chicken breast and wait till the chicken is cooked. And then that is when I add the pesto sauce and cream. Mix and set it aside.
To make pasta noodles, just pour water, vegetable oil, and salt. Once it started to boil, add the spaghetti noodle. Let it simmer till the noodle is soft. After that, I drain the pasta water using the colander. Rinse it in water so it will not be mushy.
Now in the last step, transfer the spaghetti noodle into the pesto sauce. Add parmesan cheese, black pepper, and salt. Gently mix to stir before you can start serving. I recommend serving this with garlic bread. And you are done.
Frequently Asked Question
You can use Pecorino Romano cheese if you don't have parmesan in this chicken pesto pasta. It tastes as delicious as parmesan.
I don't recommend it because it will your pesto pasta or any pasta dish too salty.
I am using light cream for my pesto pasta dish, but you can use heavy cream if you like. Take note that cream is just optional, and you can skip that part if you want your pasta healthy.
Instead of chicken, you can use shrimp
You can store it in the fridge for up to 5 to 7 days. As for the freezer, I don't recommend it because the ice will make the pasta noodle very soggy when melted, which will ruin the texture of your dish.
Related Pasta Recipes
Here are other delicious pasta recipes you want to make in your kitchen:
Chicken Pesto Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 300 gram boneless chicken breast
- 500 gram spaghetti pasta noodle
- 1 Cup Pesto Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Light or Heavy Cream (Optional)
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon salt (for pasta noodle)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for pasta noodle)
- Parmesan Cheese for Topping
- Salt and Black Pepper for Taste
- Add Extra Virgin Olive oil and unsalted butter on the pan.
- Once melted, add chopped garlic. Stir for less than a minute before adding the chopped sun dried tomatoes. Stir again
- Add chopped red onion. Stir for a minute or till it turns translucent
- Add chopped chicken breast. Mix to stir
- Pour cheesy pesto sauce and cream. Stir to combine. Once done, set it aside.
- In a separate cooking pot, pour water, and vegetable oil & salt
- Once it started to boil, add the spaghetti noodle. Cover with the lid and let it simmer till it is soft and cooked
- Drain the pasta water using the colander. Rinse the pasta noodle with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Transfer the pasta noodle on the chicken pesto sauce. Stir gently.
- Serve a chicken pesto pasta on the plate. Topped it with shredded parmesan cheese. Serve it with garlic bread.
- If you don't have parmesan cheese, you can use pecorino romano cheese
- Instead of spaghetti noodle, you can penne pasta