This homemade garlic bread using sliced bread is topped with mashed garlic, unsalted butter, olive oil and mozzarella & cheddar cheese that is baked in the oven. It is a Family and Kid-Friendly recipe which is best to eat it with pizza or pasta.
If you go to birthday parties or family gatherings, you will notice that garlic bread is one of the common dishes served in the house. It is one of the popular foods among young kids and adults since it is cheesy, garlicky, and delicious
One time I made this cheesy garlic bread for my relatives and they all loved it, especially my baby nephews. Just to know, this bread is paired best with my mini pizza or pasta recipe such as my penne carbonara or salmon alfredo pasta.
Why this is the best Garlic Bread?
There are 3 reasons why I believe this is the best homemade garlic bread to make:
- My garlic bread is topped with different cheeses such as mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Having cheese makes your bread less boring than those found in the stores or some restaurants
- This recipe is affordable since you don't need to buy fancy bread like a baguette or French Bread. I am just using an ordinary regular sliced or white bread that you can buy in the grocery or convenience store.
- This bread is so delicious that you can just eat it alone without any pasta or pizza. The best part is that it is so easy that it takes only 10-15 minutes to bake in the oven
Type of Bread to Use
I am using white bread or the regular sliced bread that is found in the grocery store. If you prefer it fancier, you can use French Bread, Baguette, or hot dog buns.
In my experience, I cooked both garlic bread using french bread and white sliced bread, and I noticed there is no difference in terms of taste, except, french bread is more crispy compared to sliced bread.
Here are the ingredients I used to make this delicious homemade garlic bread using sliced bread:
Butter: I am using salted butter to add a bit saltiness on the bread. I used only ½ cup of butter. It might look little but if you mixed with other ingredients, it could serve good for 6 to 8 garlic bread.
Olive Oil: I will suggest to use Extra Virgin Olive oil since it taste better and it is not processed
Cheese: I am using Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese. You don't have to use both if you like.
Parsley: You can use fresh or dried parsley. But in this recipe, all my ingredients are fresh which is equal to 1 and ½ teaspoon of parsley
Bread: This was already explained in the previous heading
Garlic: I am using 3 to 4 cloves of fresh garlic that I mashed into a paste
Important Things to Know
- You need to have a correct ratio when using garlic, butter, parsley, and olive oil since it might produce a balanced taste. We don't want a strong garlicky taste, or too green because of too much parsley.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil helps reduce the strong garlicky taste and it will also help mixed the butter and the herbs well.
- Do not melt the butter by using the microwave. This will make the butter watery which will ruin the texture of the garlic bread. Just leave it exposed to room temperature for 30 minutes.
Step by Step Instruction
Add the butter, mashed garlic, olive oil and chopped parsley in a plate bowl.
Use the spoon to mix all of them together. Make into a soft creamy texture
Spread the garlic butter mixture into the sliced white bread. Top it with mozzarella and cheddar cheese
Transfer the the garlic bread into the oven. Baked it for 10 to 15 minutes in 180 degree Celsius or 350 Fahrenheit.
Kitchen Equipment or Appliances Needed
Because I am living in an apartment, I don't have a gas stove oven. Instead, I am using a conventional oven.
It is easier and convenient to use especially if you have a studio unit apartment
Question and Answers
1. How long can this last in the fridge?
This homemade cheesy garlic bread can last up to 7 days in the fridge. I will not advise having it stored in the freezer because it will make the bread watery or soggy.
2. How to reheat the garlic bread?
You can reheat in the microwave on a medium-high setting for 1 minute.
📋 Recipe Card
Homemade Garlic Bread with Sliced Bread
- 6 to 8 white slices of bread
- 1/ 2 cup of salted butter
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (or any olive oil)
- 1 and ½ teaspoon of chopped parsley
- 4 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 to 2 cups of Mozzarella cheese
- 1 to 2 cups of Cheddar cheese
- Add the butter, olive oil, garlic, and parsley in a small bowl and mix it all together to make into a sauce
- Spread the sauce in each bread
- Add the cheese topping on the bread. Cheddar cheese should be added first, followed by Mozzarella cheese
- Transfer it to the oven and bake it for 15 minutes in 180 Celsius or 350 Fahrenheit