Korean Egg Drop Sandwich is a popular breakfast sandwich recipe that is made up of butter toasted thick brioche bread, fluffy egg, ham, cheddar cheese, and drizzle with sweetened mayonnaise. This Korean breakfast sandwich is so popular around the world that it becomes a trend on social media
The Word “Eggdrop” (에그드랍) comes from the name of the Korean sandwich restaurant that was introduced in 2017. It has become a popular street food among the locals in South Korea which started to expand to other countries. This restaurant offers different variation which includes bacon, avocado, and teriyaki filling.
As you know, the first time I heard about this breakfast egg sandwich was through TikTok which become so viral that it influences others to introduce that sandwich. Since in the Philippines we love everything about Korean culture (from TV dramas to foods), it is not surprising that one of the food stalls in Cebu City is selling this delicious Korean egg sandwich.
What is Egg Drop Sandwich?
This Egg drop sandwich is a Korean breakfast egg sandwich that is made from two slices of thick bread that are toasted in unsalted butter, and it has fillings of creamy scrambled egg, ham, and cheese which is drizzled with mayonnaise.
Traditionally, they use brioche bread because it is thick and fluffy. But in my opinion, you can actually replace it with other thick bread like French bread, white bread or milk bread. The texture is almost the same but the taste of brioche is a bit sweeter compared to other bread.
When I tried the Korean food stall in the Philippines that sells egg drop sandwiches, I noticed that they also have other fillings like kimchi bulgogi, bacon, ham, or avocado. But the main ingredient of the sandwich is the fluffy and creamy scrambled egg and cheese.
Lastly, this toasted Korean egg sandwich is served in a paper box which makes it more Instagram-worthy because of the color of the sandwich. Unlike serving on a plate, it makes it a bit boring.
Because I love egg sandwiches, this is what inspired me to make my version of this Korean breakfast sandwich. This recipe is a bit different than the traditional Korean egg drop sandwich but it is so delicious that I am sure you will love it.
Scrambled Eggs: I mixed 3 eggs with ¼ milk since not only does it makes it creamier and fluffier but it is much healthier than using cream
Ham: I am using chicken ham
Butter: I am using unsalted butter since this gives mild sweetness and it is used to toast the bread
Bread: You need to use any thick bread which I am using brioche bread with almonds. If you don’t have that type of bread, you can use French bread, milk bread, or white bread.
Cheese: In this recipe, I am using cheddar cheese. But you can also mozzarella, American or Provolone cheese
Lettuce: Now this is not traditional but I like to add lettuce as one of the fillings for my sandwich since it is healthy.
Drizzle Sauce: For drizzling the sandwich, I just used mayonnaise with sweetened condensed milk with a ratio 1:2
Step by Step Instruction
I. Making the Scrambled Egg
- In a small plate bowl, I beat the egg with milk, a pinch of salt, and black pepper.
- In a non-stick pan in medium-low heat, add two tablespoons of vegetable oil and when it’s hot, I added the beating egg. Gently stir with the spatula till you have a nice fluffy scrambled egg. Set aside.
II. Heating the Ham and Butter the Bread
- By using the same pan, I just put two slices of ham and let it cook on both sides till it turns a darker color. Set aside when done.
- Now to butter the bread, I just wait for the butter to become soft before I spread it on the bread. Again, by using the same pan, I put the bread there on medium-low heat and toast on both sides till it turns golden brown. Transfer to the plate and set aside.
III. Assembling the Sandwich
- Now to assemble the sandwich in order, I spread the mayonnaise first on the inside of the toasted buttered bread
- Next, add the lettuce, followed by cheese, ham, and then scrambled egg.
- Before serving this Korean egg sandwich, drizzle it with the sweet mayonnaise sauce.
Tips and Hints
- To make sure the cheese will melt, the egg drop sandwich should be served hot. That’s why I buttered the bread last rather than the beginning.
- Make sure you use the non-sticky pan or skillet since this will ruin the texture of the egg and ham
- Do not overcook the egg since this will make the scrambled egg dry. We want to make sure you cooked it in medium-low heat.
- Always maintain stirring the egg in a circular direction to avoid overcooking the egg
- So the butter can spread the bread evenly, I melted the butter first in the microwave so it will turn into a liquid.
- If you want to reheat your Korean breakfast sandwich, use the microwave on a medium to the medium-high setting for 30 seconds or until it becomes warm. To avoid the sandwich not becoming soggy, wrap it in a paper towel or foil.
- Alternatively, you can reheat the sandwich through the oven where you wrapped it with aluminum foil and heat it for 10 minutes or till it becomes warm.
Variation and Substitution
- When beating the egg with milk, you use either low-fat or high-fat milk. Alternatively, use heavy cream if desired.
- Instead of Ham, you can use bacon or spam
- If you don’t have Brioche bread, use either French bread, white, or milk bread. Alternatively, you can use whole wheat bread if you prefer it healthier.
- You can use other cheeses like Mozzarella, Provolone, or American cheese.
- If you like something healthier, use slices of avocado instead of ham or bacon
Other Korean Recipes to Try
If you love Korean foods, here are my other delicious recipes that you can make at home:
📋 Recipe Card
Korean Egg Drop Sandwich Recipe
- 1 Non-Stick Pan
- 4 pieces Sliced Thick Bread (Brioche, White or Milk Bread)
- 3 pieces egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 slices chicken ham
- 2 pieces leaf lettuce
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1.5 tablespoons condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Canola
Making the Scrambled Egg
- Beat the egg with milk, a pinch of salt, and black pepper in a small plate bowl
- In a non-stick pan in medium-low heat, add two tablespoons of vegetable oil and when it’s hot, pour the beating egg.
- Gently stir with the spatula till you have a nice fluffy scrambled egg. Set aside.
Heating the Ham
- Put two slices of ham in the same pan.
- Cook on both sides till it turns a darker color. Set aside when done.
Butter the Bread
- Spread the butter on the bread
- Transfer into the same clean pan.
- Toast on both sides in medium-low heat till it turns golden brown. Transfer to the plate and set aside.
Assembling the Sandwich
- Spread the mayonnaise first on the inside of the toasted buttered bread
- Add the lettuce, followed by cheese, ham, and then scrambled egg.
- Drizzle it with the sweet mayonnaise sauce before serving this Korean Egg sandwich