Tofu Sisig is a Filipino sisig recipe that is mixed with deep-fried tofu, white onion, green chilies, soy sauce, and mayonnaise. This vegetarian crispy dish is healthier and is best served with white rice.
In Filipino culture, when they are having drinks with friends or families during the gathering, sisig is one of the most common snacks that is served together with alcoholic drinks. If you go to the bar, you will notice that it is one of the common dishes served in that place.
There are many kinds of sisig which include chicken, bangus, pork or vegetable. I remember when I had dinner with my relatives, we went to a Filipino restaurant called Max’s restaurant which one of the dish I ate is creamy tofu sisig.
I find this dish delicious since it is aromatic, savory, and mildly spicy. This inspired me to make my version of crispy tofu sisig. It may not be similar but I promise you will love it.
What is this recipe about?
Tofu sisig is made from deep-fried tofu which is then mixed with garlic, onion, and green chilies. In addition, soy sauce, oyster sauce, calamansi and mayonnaise are important condiments that enhance the flavor and the aroma of the sisig. You may think adding mayonnaise is weird, but it actually adds richness and creaminess to the sisig.
Some may not appreciate tofu dish as compared to chicken or bangus since it tends to be bland or not juicy. But I promised you will love this dish especially if you are a vegan.
Here are the ingredients to make this delicious crispy Tofu Sisig:
Tofu: This will serve as the protein for this recipe which is healthier and it is low in cholesterol.
Condiments: I am using important condiments like soy sauce, oyster sauce, and mayonnaise. These 3 condiments will make the tofu flavorful and aromatic. The Mayonnaise will give a nice creamy sisig.
Garlic: I chopped 2 cloves of garlic. It is not usually used as part of the ingredients, but I like to add it since it gives a nice flavor to my tofu.
Onion: You can use either red or white onion. But I use white onion in this recipe
Chilies: I prefer to use green chilies since it is less spicier than the red chilies.
Things to know:
You will notice that the ingredients are similar to my chicken and bangus sisig. The only thing that makes this recipe healthier is that it does not contain any greasiness or fattiness from the chicken or fish.
I. Deep Frying the Tofu
As you know, sisig tends to be a little bit crispy, so we need to deep fried the tofu in oil. Firstly, I cut the large tofu into smaller cube pieces which then
Next, I poured vegetable oil into a large pan, and when it was hot, that is when I transferred the tofu to the pan. Let it deep fry till it turns golden brown and a bit crispy. Once done, transfer into the pan and set aside.
II. Cooking and Mixing Together
This part is more straightforward. Firstly, I add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Next, I added chopped garlic and white onion. Stir till it turns translucent.
After that, I add green chilies, fried tofu, and condiments (soy sauce, oyster sauce, and mayonnaise). Just give a quick stir to mix to help the tofu absorb the flavor.
Once done, transfer to the plate and serve it with calamansi and white rice.
For better presentation, you can put the unsalted butter in the sizzling plate and then transfer the sisig there. This will help keep the sisig hot when serving. But this is just optional since, in this recipe, I serve it directly on the plate.
Tips & Hints
- This recipe is not 100% vegan since I am using the oyster sauce. If you want to make it vegetarian-friendly, just replace it with Knorr liquid seasoning sauce.
- Some brand such as Hellmann or Herman Mayonnaise is 100% vegan and contain no egg.
- If you like your tofu crusty and crispy, you can use the sizzling plate. But in this recipe, I am not using it since it is not needed
- This is perfect to serve and eat with fried rice or white rice.
- If you want to reheat the sisig, you can use the microwave on the medium-high setting for 1-2 minutes.
Variations or Substitution
- Instead of using soy sauce and oyster sauce, you can switch to Knorr Liquid seasoning.
- If you like it spicier, you can add red chilies.
- In addition to tofu, you can add oyster or shitake mushroom in your sisig recipe.
Other Recipes you might also Like
📋 Recipe Card
Tofu Sisig Recipe
- 150 grams Tofu
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 medium chopped white onion
- 3 pieces green chilies
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for sautéing)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (for frying)
Deep Frying the Tofu
- Cut the tofu into a 1-inch cubed shape
- Pour Vegetable oil into the pan. Once hot, add the tofu to the pan.
- Let it fry till it turns golden brown.
- Flip to the opposite side and continue frying
- Once both sides are golden brown, transfer to the plate and set aside.
Cooking and Mixing Together
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan
- Add chopped garlic and then chopped white onion. Stir till it turns translucent
- Add sliced green chilies. Stir for 15 to 30 seconds
- Transfer the fried tofu back into the pan
- Pour the soy sauce, and oyster sauce and add the mayonnaise. Mix to stir
- Once done, transfer to the plate. Serve with rice and calamansi.
- If you want 100% vegan, avoid oyster sauce and use vegan mayonnaise
- In addition to tofu, you can add shitake or oyster mushroom